10 PostgreSQL versus Everything Else Comparisons
Feature comparisons, in addition to being somewhat lame and almost always biased, are very dependent on versions. If you throw in performance considerations, they are also dependent on hardware and configuration. Even so, I like to read comparisons, for historical information if nothing else.
Here are some comparisons that I have found. I make no recommendations or even commentary about them. Read through them as if you are a database anthropologist. Dig for the nuggets that increase your existing base of knowledge but remember that a human, probably one with an agenda, put these comparisons together.
I have also found that PostgreSQL is most often compared to MySQL and not to one of the large commercial databases such as Oracle or DB2.
Update: August 27. A new comparison: PostgreSQL vs Firebird, August 2007 (and hopefully it will remain updated)
- PostgreSQL or MySQL – Feb 15 2005, a fairly nice comparison actually.
- PostgreSQL vs. MySQL vs. Commercial Databases: It’s All About What You Need – DevX April 12, 2004
- PostgreSQL vs MySQL: Which is better?, DatabaseJournal Dec 16, 2003
- PostgreSQL vs. SQL Server: PostgreSQL is right for the Microsoft stack, SearchEntepriseLinux May 15, 2006
- PostgreSQL vs. Oracle: Users speak out, SeachOracle April 6, 2006
- PostgreSQL vs MySQL with Rails, June 18, 2005
- Oracle 10g vs PostgreSQL 8 vs MySQL 5, This one I wrote, Aug 22, 2005
- Firebird vs Postgres, Forum Post, April 23, 2002
- PostgreSQL vs. MySQL (Web Techniques, Sep 2001), Dr Dobbs, Jan 1, 2002
- MySQL vs. PostgreSQL, Aug 9, 2005
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.